Dr Vivek Mehta
On-going Investigator Initiated Trials
- The HTA-NIHR programme: (Grant Award £430,000). A pilot multicentre three arm randomised controlled feasibility study (for a definitive trial) of the clinical- and cost-effectiveness of facet joint injections in patients with persistent specific low back pain of more than 6 months’ duration.
- A single centre, randomised, placebo controlled parallel study to investigate the effect of opioids on immunomarkers using gene expression profiling. (Investigator Grant £365,000).
- A sham controlled randomised trial to investigate the effects of radio-frequency neurotomy using Simplicity III R on patients with sacro-iliac joint pain. (Investigator Grant $108,000)
- A prospective open label pilot study to investigate the changes in peripheral and central sensitisation using quantitative sensory testing after percutaneous SCS (including sub-threshold stimulation) in patients with lumbar radiculopathy with FBSS (Investigator Grant £115,000)
- Investigation of the ReActiv8 Implantable Stimulation System for Chronic Low Back Pain ReActiv8-A (Investigator Grant £109,000)
- Assessment of burst stimulation in patients undergoing Occipital Nerve Stimulation (Investigator Grant £41,000)
- Peripheral Nerve Stimulation Registry For Intractable Migraine Headache: A Prospective, Multi-National Post-Marketing Observational Registry of the Clinical Outcomes of Neuromodulation for the Management of Intractable Chronic Migraine. (Investigator Grant £14,000)
- A single centre study to investigate the CSF pharmacokinetics of intravenous administered paracetamol.
- A prospective open label pilot study to investigate whether Quantitative Sensory Testing correlates with the effectiveness of Diagnostic Dorsal Root Ganglion Block and Pulsed Radiofrequency in patients with lumbar radiculopathy.
- Quantitative sensory testing following pregabalin in patients with fibromyalgia.
- ‘SCAPE: Sickle Cell Analgesia Pathway Evaluation: Optimising management of the acute painful crisis of sickle cell disease using buccal effervescent fentanyl and oral oxycodone.’ (Grant :£206,462) Barts and The London Charity
- Contribution of opioid modulation to the analgesic effect of Tapentadol: A human volunteer study. (Investigator Grant £110,000)
Selected Peer reviewed Publications
- Mehta V, Johnston A, Cheung R, Bello A, Langford RM. Intravenous parecoxib rapidly leads to COX-2 inhibitory concentration of valdecoxib in the central nervous system. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2008; 83:430-5
- Chang SH, Maney KM, Mehta V, Langford RM. Pain Assessment and Management in Medical Wards: an area of unmet need. Postgrad Med J. 2010 May; 86 (1015): 279-84
- Chang SH, Maney KM, Phillips JP, Langford RM, Mehta V. A prospective, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled investigation of the respiratory effects of oxycodone versus morphine in anesthetised patients. 2010 65(10): 1007-1012
- Mehta V, Alawad S, Kuravinakop S, Nikolic S,. Effect of a Fixed-Dose Opioid Agonist/Antagonist on Constipation in Patients on Long-term Opioids for Non-Malignant Pain Unable to Tolerate Laxatives. Pain Physician 2014; 17:415-424
- Mehta V, Langford RM. Acute pain management in opioid dependent patients. Anaesthesia. 2006; 61: 269-76
- Langford R M. Mehta V. Selective cyclooxygenase inhibition: its role in pain and anaesthesia. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy. 2006; 7: 323-328
- Chang SH, Mehta V, Langford RM. Acute and chronic pain following breast surgery Acute Pain. 2009; 11: 1-14
- Mehta V, Langford RM. Acute pain management in opioid dependent patients. Reviews in Pain 2009; 3 (2): 10-14
- Kumar P, Nargund V, Mehta V. Chronic testicular pain management-a review. Urol Int. 2010; 84 (2):125-31
- Snidvongs S, Mehta V. Pulsed radiofrequency – a non-neurodestructive therapy in pain management. Current Opinion in Palliative & Supportive Care- 2010; 4(2): 107-10
- Snidvongs S, Mehta V. Recent advances in opioid prescription for chronic non-cancer pain. Postgrad Med J 2011doi:10.1136/pgmj.2010.112045
- Shah S, Mehta V. Controversies and advances in non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug analgesia in chronic pain management. Postgrad Med J 2011 doi. 10.1136/postgradmedj-2011-130291
- Randive S, Mehta V. Breakthrough pain- novel analgesics. Current Clinical Pharmacology. 2012 May;7(2):116-20
- Husband M, Mehta V Cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors . Continuing Education in Anaesthesia, Critical Care & Pain 2013; doi: 10.1093/bjaceaccp/mkt004
- Chhaya V Sharma; Vivek Mehta Paracetamol: mechanisms and updates Continuing Education in Anaesthesia, Critical Care & Pain 2013; doi: 10.1093/bjaceaccp/mkt049
- Langford R M, Mehta V Are COX-2 selective inhibitors safe for post-operative pain–Yes and No. International Journal of Acute pain. 2006; 8: 95-
- Mehta V. Peripheral opioid antagonism. Anaesthesia 2009; 64: 1279-83
- Mehta V, Shah S. Paracetamol- the forgotten drug. 2010 Br J Hosp Med 71 (11); 606-7
Web based module
- Acute and chronic pain management. 2007 doctors.net.uk
- Langford R M, Mehta V. Anaesthesia & Pain Relief. Bailey & Love Short Practice of Surgery 25 Edition. Anaesthesia & Pain Management. Chapter 14, 194-204
- Mehta V. Pulsed radiofrequency treatment in the management of chronic pain. Freedom from Pain. 2009. IK International 250-54
- Mehta V, Siddhalingaiah V. Clinical Examination and Evaluation Cervical Spine. Symptom Oriented Pain Management, 2011. Jaypee Brothers.
- Mehta V, Halder J, Langford R M, Anaesthesia & Pain Relief. Bailey & Love Short Practice of Surgery 26 Edition. Anaesthesia & Pain Management. Chapter 17, 238-246
- Mehta V, Phillips JP, Wantman AC, Ratcliffe SH, van Raders PA, Langford RM. Investigation of buprenorphine induced respiratory depression in anaesthetised patients and its reversibility. British J Anaesthesia. 2005; 94: 399-400
- Nikoic S, Mehta V, Ratciffe S, Phillips JP, Langford RM. Investigation of buprenorphine induced respiratory depression and its reversibility in anesthetised patients. British J Anaesthesia. 2007; 99: 759P
- Chang SH, Maney KM, Phillips JP, Langford RM, Mehta V. A prospective randomised, double blind placebo controlled investigation of the respiratory effects of oxycodone vs morphine in anesthetised patients. British J Anaesthesia. 2008; 100: 575P-576P
- Mehta V, Pandit A. Pulsed radiofrequency treatment in management of neuropathic cancer pain. Pain Practice. 2009; 9(1): 71
- Mehta V, Alawad S, Kuravinakop S, Nikolic S, Taylor A. Effect of fixed dose opioid agonist/antagonist on constipation in patients on long term opioids for non cancer pain. Journal of Pain 2012 Vol 13 S80
- Mehta V, Sharma C, Long J, Shah S, Rahman J, Ayoub S, Perrett D, Langford RM. A Single Centre Prospective Randomised Study to Investigate the Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Pharmacokinetics of Intravenous Paracetamol in Humans. Journal of Pain 2012 Vol 13
- Mehta V, Snidvongs S, Langford RM, Wodehouse T. A prospective open label pilot study to investigate whether quantitative sensory testing correlates with the effectiveness of diagnostic dorsal root ganglion block in patients with unilateral lumbar radicular pain. Journal of Pain 2013
- Mehta V, Casey L, Ghai B, Snidvongs S, Langford RM, Wodehouse T A Prospective Human Open Label, Pilot Investigation Into Characterizing QST Response Following 5 Hz to DRG. Neuromodulation Abstract 2013
Dr Anish Bahra
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications:
Other primary headaches. Bahra A. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2012;15(Suppl 1):S66-71.
Weatherall MW, Bahra A. Familial Hemicrania Continua. Cephalalgia. 2011;31(2):245-9.
Kernick DP, Ahmed F, Bahra A, Dowson A, Elrington G, Fontebasso M, Giffin NJ, Lipscombe S, MacGregor A, Peatfield R, Weatherby S, Whitmarsh T, Goadsby PJ Imaging patients with suspected brain tumour: guidance for primary care. Br J Gen Pract. 2008;58(557):880-885
Paemeleire, K. Bahra A. Evers, S. Matharu, MS. Goadbsy, PJ. Medication-overuse headache in patients with cluster headache. Neurology 2006;67(1):109-113.
Bahra A. Goadsby, PJ. Diagnostic delays and mis-management in cluster headache. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica 2004;109(3):175-179.
Evans, RW. Bahra A. Migraine and Cluster headache: coexistence laterality, and gender. Headache 2004;44(2):186-188
Bahra A, Walsh M, Menon S, Goadsby PJ. Does chronic daily headache arise de novo in association with regular use of analgesics ?. Headache 2003;43(3):179-190 – Awarded the Caplan Award.
Matharu MS, Good CD, May A, Bahra A, Frackowiak RSJ, Goadsby PJ. No change in the structure of the brain in migraine: a voxel-based morphometric study. European Journal of Neurology 2003;10(1):53-57.
van Vliet JA, Bahra A, Martin V, Ramadan N, Aurora SK, Mathew NT, Ferrari MD and Goadsby PJ. Intranasal sumatriptan in cluster headache: randomised placebo-controlled double-blind cross-over study. Neurology 2003;60(4):630-633.
Bahra A, May A, and Goadsby PJ. Cluster Headache: a prospective clinical study of cluster headache with diagnostic implications. Neurology 2002;58:354-361.
Bahra A, Matharu M, Buechel C, Frackowiak RSJ, Goadsby PJ. Brainstem activation specific to migraine headache. Lancet 2001;357:1016-1017.
May A, Bahra A, Buechel C, Frackowiak RSJ, Goadsby PJ. PET and MRA findings in cluster headache and MRA in experimental pain. Neurology 2000;55:1328-1335.
Bahra A, Gawel MJ, Hardebo JE, Millson D, Breen SA, Goadsby PJ. Oral zolmitriptan is effective in the acute treatment of cluster headache. Neurology 2000;54(9):1832-1839.
May A, Bahra A, Buechel C, Turner R and Goadsby PJ. Functional MRI in spontaneous attacks of SUNCT: short-lasting neuralgiform headache with conjunctival injection and tearing. Annals of Neurology 1999;46(5):791-794.
May A, Buechel C, Bahra A, Frackowiak RSJ, Goadsby PJ. Intra-cranial vessels in trigeminal transmitted pain: a PET study. Neuroimage 1999;9:453-460.
May A, Bahra A, Buechel C, Frackowiak RSJ, Goadsby PJ. Hypothalamic activation in cluster headache attacks. Lancet 1998;352:275-278.
Bahra A and Goadsby PJ. Cough headache responsive to methysergide. Cephalalgia 1998;18:495-496.
Evers S, Bahra A, Goadsby PJ. Coincidence of familial hemiplegic migraine and hemicrania continua? A case report. Cephalalgia 1999;19:533-535.
Goadsby PJ, Bahra A, May A. Mechanisms of cluster headache. Cephalalgia 1999;19:19-23.
Peatfield RC, Bahra A, Goadsby PJ. Trigeminal autonomic cephalgias (TACs). Cephalalgia 1998;18: 358-361.